.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
Get paid To Promote 
at any Location







Friend Friday #25: Blogger mechanics


we heart it

Ever wonder how your favourite blogger gets the shots she/he does, which camera they use to get them, which computer they sit behind as they type? I devour posts like this one on IFB which offers tips for taking better photos of yourself, or reviews of the hottest smartphone for blogging. This week's Friend Friday is a window on the mechanics of blogging and the technology we use, so go on, be as noisy as you like and go check out everyone else's responses (I know I can't wait to!) - just wait till after you've read mine!


1. What technology do you use in blogging? (computer, camera, video camera, tripod, etc...)

When I started blogging I had the oldest and slowest laptop that I'd had for years! It eventually died and I now have a speedy and small netbook. I chose an Asus EeePC and I love it. It fits easily in my bag and has a loooooong battery life. It might not be so long compared to the newest ones (as it is now over a year old) but it is very very long compared to my old laptop that had a battery life of approximately 5 minutes!! I kid you not. For my photos, I use a secondhand Nikon D60. I found it in a little independent camera store - called Cameraland - and used my birthday money last year to buy it. When I got it home the screen wasn't working right so they sent the camera back off to Nikon and it was given a complete make-over. So I basically ended up paying peanuts for what is effectively a brand new camera! I love it. An SLR is perfect for (nearly) always getting the right shot but it can be a little bulky too. So I am currently on the lookout for a compact camera that I can pop in my bag for those I-wish-I-had-my-camera moments!


not quite my exact camera - but close!!

2. What computer and online technology do you use? (blogging system, photo storage, photo editing tools, etc..)

My blogging system is probably evident - I use blogger. I didn't really know about the different blogging platforms when I first started so I just went with the one that most of the bloggers whose blogs I read used too. It has served me well and I don't have any real complaints. I have recently added Disqus to my blog, to allow me to reply easily and quickly to comments as this is something that I have wanted to implement for a while. I understand from "chat" on other blogs and within the FBFF Group that Disqus does not work well for everyone. I am intrigued for your opinion. Of course, if Disqus isn't working for you, this might be a problem, so if you can't leave a comment, why not email me?

I edit most of my photos in picnik. Mainly because it's free. Again, not much thought went into that initial decision but now, I like it and am used to it.

3. What is your process for taking pictures?


I don't really have a "process". If I see something I like, I take a photo. Sometimes it finds it's way onto the blog and other times it just gets lost in amongst all of the other photos I have taken. For outfit photos, I take a lot before I am happy with one or two. I just keep clicking away in the hope that one or two are ok.
4. When it comes to backdrops for your photos what do you consider? Do you scout locations or shoot the same spot daily?

I have a location in the stairwell of my apartment building where I take photos of myself with a remote if the boyf isn't around or I just want a clean background. I'm not really into taking my camera and remote outside with me. I am working on that! As I love the photos a lot of bloggers take of themselves outside in different locations. I just have a hard enough time trying to avoid getting caught in the stairwell!! If I happen to be out with my sister or the boyf, then I will try to get them to take a photo.

I am always scribbling ideas in my moleskin notebook - when on a train, out for coffee, watching TV - everywhere!

5. If you could splurge and get one new piece of equipment what would you be buying?

As I said in response to question 1, I would love to get a little compact camera to just chuck in my bag so that I always have one with me. My dream comapct camera would be the deliciously chic GE Create Leather Jason Wu Camera. I am also currently saving for a Blackberry Torch as my current Blackberry Curve doesn't have the browser capacity to run blogger but after playing on my sister's Torch at the weekend, I think it might be perfect!!
 
What technology do you use? I'd love to know what your blogger essentials are! Again, if you can't leave a comment on Disqus, I'd still love to hear from you, so please feel free to send me an email.
 
Remember to go check out everyone else's responses over at ModlyChic. And if you'd like to be a part of the Friend Friday Group, you can find all the details here.