.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
Get paid To Promote 
at any Location







Friend Friday #22: Compare and contrast

A new year of Friend Friday posts! And a special congratulations to Katy, of ModlyChic, who each week poses these questions to us, as she will now be writing a corresponding article for IFB for the Friend Friday topics.

This week it seems there isn't a blog that hasn't been setting out there resolutions for the year ahead. It is very easy to start to compare your blog to those of others and to start to wonder why your blog isn't so successful/well-read/good-looking/whatever. We are constantly comparing ourselves to others in "real life" and it is only natural that this should spill over into our blogs. Of course, a little healthy competition can be no bad thing. This week we tackle this issue:


1. Have you ever looked at someone's blog and thought yours will never measure up?

A million times! I am constantly comparing my blog to others. A little comparing and competition is no bad thing, I reckon. But you need to put things into perspective: I now try to compare my blog to others of a similar size or style or whatever. First of all, I don’t have a massive shopping budget, so comparing my blog to a blogger who is always wearing designer is a little silly. Really. Then, I have only been blogging (properly) for a year, so comparing to someone who has been doing this for years is again, a little silly. I write my blog in my spare time – around a full-time job, so to compare to those for whom this is a job, or at least a hobby they can spend all day on, is just asking for trouble. That said, all of this comparing does help me to up my game. I devour blogs of all shapes and sizes in the hunt for more ideas and inspiration to make my blog even better. One day, it might just measure up…

2. Do you (did you) feel pressure to meet some kind of undefined standard for fashion bloggers?

I think the great thing about fashion blogging is that everyone has their own opinion and there are so many opinions and different ideas that everyone can find the ones that best suit their own versions of these too. So, no. I don’t really think there is any sort of a standard for fashion bloggers. I think those that don’t contribute much soon end up going nowhere, so they sort of self-regulate themselves.

3. Many established fashion bloggers are also extraordinary DIYers, bakers, and crafty people. Do you think you need to combine all of these things to be successful at blogging?

It probably helps. I am no good at any of these really, so maybe that’s why I don’t expect to become a massively successful blogger. That’s the thing though, a lot of fashion blogs are really style blogs and the bloggers attract a huge following because the way they style the simplest of outfits makes them stand out from the rest of us – either through a little imaginative DIY or something they have made themselves.

4. The most successful blogs are the ones that have their own personal voice - how are you developing your voice or how did you find yours?

My voice is still developing. Some months I find I have so much to say and others not so much. I try not to get too personal or chatty, even though I am aware that this is probably what makes people read more successful blogs, as I like to keep a little bit of a distance from the blog. Saying that, I am trying to come out of that a little and to nurture a more “natural” voice for myself and the blog.

5. Toot your own horn... what's one thing you do that is unique to you and your blog? What gives your blog an edge?

My Advent Calender series was a completely original idea (I think!). I love to use my blog to reach out to other blogs and to meet new bloggers across the internet.


How do you keep your blog fresh as a blogger? As a reader, what makes you come back to Sugar and Spice? I'm intrigued!

As always, remember to visit Katy's blog to read the other contributions to this week's Friend Friday conversation. And if you would like to get involved be sure to check this out.

Happy Friday!